Fresh[man] Advice: Top Five Foods To Order At The Eateries
Editor’s Note: This post has been updated to reflect BuDS changes.
So it’s the first week of school. Your new friends are telling you they want to go eat at the Ivy Room and you think, ‘oh cool, I’ve been eating at the Ratty pretty much 24/7, this is a change!’ So then you order your specialty pizza and you realize that your whole night is basically ruined by the fact that you actually let something this disgusting enter your body.
Never fear! FYBU is here to tell you the Top 5 Foods to order at the eateries to make sure you’re making awesome choices that’ll make all your new friends jealous. Check it out after the jump!
Free Food Opportunity of the Day
Looking for some free breakfast tomorrow? Try “Coffee and Careers”. Every Monday morning from 10-12, the Career Lab has open hours in the Advising Center on the the 3rd floor of J Walter Wilson (that building where your mailbox is). This event, which lets you talk to a career adviser for as long as you want, also provides FREE MUFFINS. Do it. Trust me.
Helpful Tip #3: Need Lunch?
It’s 12 pm. You just got out of your hour and a half long lecture (which you spent on facebook), and now you’re starving. Where do you go?
- If you’re one of those idiots on the minimal points plans, I guess the V Dub is your best bet. There’s pretty much ALWAYS better food here, and on Fridays you get the luxury of Chicken Fingers. Yum.
- For you smarties on the flex plans, however, go down to the Ivy Room at least once a week. The prices are a little steep and they don’t accept meal credits during the day, but the food here is by far the best on campus. The reason for the pricey meals is to keep it faculty only down here, but you can’t keep me out. My pick: Grilled Cheese and Curly Fries, or a Hot Waterman with Cranberry Mayo. Be sure to check out the dessert fridge as well - it’s like Ratty dessert only ten times better.
- Another note on the Ivy Room: They have a really great deal where you get curly fries and a soda for a much lower price than if you get them separately. Make sure the cashier rings you up properly for that (usually it’s Jose, much to everyone’s joy).
- If neither of these are to your liking, you can always try using cash at the meal trucks around campus. Mama Kims is always great for those of you Korean food lovers.
- Never overlook the library carts. They’re all over the place (the Sci Li, Barus and Holley, and the Rock, which pretty much covers all corners of campus) and they’re great for grabbing a snack, especially since there’s usually no line. I usually get the Jumbo Croissant, a Tropicana, or a muffin. I’ve heard the sandwiches at the Sci Li are pretty good too.